3.05.2006

Super Nintendo rests in piece

When I first moved to Kyoto last September, one of the first things I purchased was a vintage Super Nintendo Entertainment System, known as "Super Famikon" (Super Fami[ly] Com[puter]). It took me a long time to find a job, and I didn't really have any friends in Kyoto except for Anna of course, so I had lots of free time and thought it might be fun to enjoy playing the video games I had loved as a child and teenager.

I only bought two games, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario RPG, but I had a lot of fun with them and was looking forward to taking the Japanese console back to the States and giving it to my friend Nick, an avid gamer who is interested in Japanese and Japan. Today, Anna and I were playing the Nintendo DS version of the Mario Kart franchise, and kept having to take turns because we only have one DS, so we decided to fire up the old classic version. Sadly, it seems that the console has broken for reasons unknown to us. It is old, to be sure, but it had worked fine the last time we had used it a few months ago, and it had been stored in a cabinet that, while not completely sealed, is hardly ever used and mostly closed off to dust-bearing air currents circulating throughout our living room.

Our emergency rescue efforts, consisting of prying off the dark gray plastic cover and cleaning out the delicate terminals with a soft pipe cleaner, were sadly in vain, so while I cringe at the thought, I think my beloved Japanese SNES is destined to be taken apart, a hobby I started as a child when one of my parents' consumer appliances came to an untimely end.

If I am really motivated, maybe I will try to clean up each of the electronic components, and try to make a portable player following the instructions of some talented reverse engineers and modders out there. Knowing me, though, it's ultimately headed for the dustbin.

Let us all have a moment of silence. (;>;) ← read upright, in the Japanese style

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home