4.11.2006

Cleaner Diesel Fuel in America?

I am currently researching cars, as I will be returning to the US from my two-year stint in Japan in July, and public transportation alone will not meet my future transportation needs. I am thinking about getting a hybrid, and in searching around various articles on the net, I stumbled upon a bit of surprising but great news: that Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel will be available at many (if not all?) US gas stations starting in September. I had no idea this was the case, but if it leads to more clean-burning diesel vehicles being developed for America, I'm a happy camper. A clean-burning diesel/electric hybrid would be nice, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath on that just yet...

The following is from Chrevron's website:
S15 (ULSD) is defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as U.S. diesel fuel with a sulfur content not to exceed 15 ppm (parts per million). S15, S500, and S5000 are designations for diesel fuels that meet 15 ppm, 500 ppm, and 5,000 ppm maximum sulfur content, respectively, as defined in the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard D975 Table 1. In different regions of the world ULSD may refer to different maximum sulfur content values, but ULSD and S15 are often used interchangeably in North America (U.S. and Canada).The S15, S500, and S5000 designations also apply to the Canadian diesel market.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A concrete arrival date! Well, a quick update: I'm in at Pitt Dental (i think you knew that), and I got into Temple Dental, but I rejected them. In other news, I was dating a girl, minor drama queen, but that's over now (and i am stress-free)

also, i'm looking for a job for the summer that pays more than min. wage yet is temporary... I'm thinking bank teller, and have applied w/ PNC and citizens thus far..

06:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home